[TenTec] Thoughts about PTO's, Omni-C's and sundry items

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Thoughts about PTO's, Omni-C's and sundry items
From: dslosty@pipeline.com (dslosty)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 03:23:45 -0800
I've rebuilt several Ten-TEc PTO's and have found the
wedge washer "smashed" on two of them.

What happened in both cases was that the spring had worn
its way through the washer. I'm rather surprised that Ten-Tec
doesn't include this in their kit. I was able to order the
wedge washers from them for a nominal charge (around $.50/
I think).

There have been a lot of thought expressed here about
the AGC popping of the Omni-A/D/B/C series.

I work CW about 70% of the time and frankly have rarely felt
the AGC was a problem, even with headphones and my usual practice
of running the RF gain at full bore. I don't know if this
is a matter of variations between rigs or simple personal
tolerance.

I just added an Omni-C to my Ten-Tec collection.
After doing a thorough alignment I'm happy with the unit.
There's a major difference between my Omni C and my Omni-D,
version B. The Omni C has "hang" AGC. This seems to reduce
the popping quite a bit with no mods, for me, seemingly necessary.

This Omni-C is around serial # 3400 and has all the WARC bands
enabled. The manual shows that the oscillator xtal for 18 MHz
should be 4.000MHz. Instead there seems to be a factory installed
xtal for a frequency of around 3.688 MHz. This makes the band coverage
rather odd for 18MHz. I wonder if they did this to reduce the
spurious response problems on 18Mhz??

There seems to be sequential serial numbers from the original
Omni-A and D, through the later Omni-C's.  Does anyone have
a unit with a serial number higher than around 3400?
My unit, from the I.C. date codes, was made in late 1980 and probably
sold in early 1981. I wonder how many units were made?

BTW,
Does anyone know of a source for an ua757 I.C.??
This is a linear I.F. amp chip that I need for another rig repair.
I've struck out with all the usual sources (NTE, SK, Mouser, Allied,
Newark, etc).

73,
Doug/WA1TUT