[TenTec] RF Feedback

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RF Feedback
From: tom.branch@qth.com (Tom Branch)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 12:54:00 -0600
Greetings,

I've been working on a strange problem with my Omni 6.  I had a severe case
of RFI when the coaxial cables passed over the Astron Power Supply. The
problem was worst on 17 - 12 meters.  I moved the PS away from the cables
and the RFI problem was cured on most of the bands.

I was on 12 meter phone yesterday chasing a new band country and I
discovered I still have RFI on the audio on that band at almost any power
level (10 and 15 meters are fine at full output from my Centurion).  I
switched to the dummy load and still have the problem, so I've ruled out
overload from the antenna.  I checked all the cables for a bad shield
connection, but they're all fine.

I'm running a W9XT voice keyer card with all the associated cables, so I'll
try it this afternoon with the 705 microphone just to rule out those cables.

The station has a single point ground, where everything in and out of the
shack is grounded.  The ground wires are all 2" copper braid and the run
from the ground point to the rod is about 6 feet.

Seems odd it's just on one band....

73 de Tom, K4NR