[TenTec] Herc II questions again...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Herc II questions again...
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:30:50 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Steve Ellington wrote:

> Also, most TenTec stuff seems to like having a full 13.8v. They do strange
> things when voltage drops below this. No surprise.

I have hooked up two deep cycle batteries in parallel now.  Both batteries
are at least 5 years old but have not been used much at all.  Of course,
that means they have sat, mostly unattended and uncharged for long periods
in my cold garage on a piece of plywood.

I charged them close to full and used the Herc II again.  I find the relay
drops almost vanish, but it still happened once while I was talking (75
meters SSB).  It is not overdrive, I set it to do that and cannot force
the relay to click while I talk.

I'll call Ten Tec service and just ask them for another opinion.  I thank
everyone for their suggestions.  Where I am located, another power source
is pretty much out of the question for now, so I need to figure this one
out.  With batteries of this age, I am do not quite eliminate them as the
problem.  Since the amp sat, unused, in garage storage for over 7 years, I
may have to spray a little DeOxit around, too.

Clark
WA3JPG