[TenTec] Scout mechanical stability resolved

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout mechanical stability resolved
From: EAvila@caiso.com (Avila, Edward)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:23:47 -0800
Guys,

With expert help of a Ten Tec tech on the phone advising me I've been able
to "fix" the mechanical-stability problem when using my Scout in the car.
Electrically, the Scout is very stable for a PTO-tuned rig, but in my car it
was having problems staying put when I hit the "big" potholes on the road.

Cutting to the chase, I pulled the PTO apart, cleaned it then used some
conductive grease on the spring that slides up and down a shaft as you tune
the PTO, and of course tightened everything. However, the most productive
fix was to greatly shorten the leads coming from the tuning coil to the PC
board at the point where they barely reached the soldering holes, then goop
the coil form and wires so as to prevent any movement by the assembly and
what a difference this has made! Now I can leap over several buses lined up
in a row in the mobile and after landing still be on frequency.....of course
the car is demolished in the process.....but hey I'm still on frequency!
:-)

Hope this helps.........73/k6sdw