[TenTec] Ten-Tec 2591 HT, CTCSS?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 2591 HT, CTCSS?
From: seweber@netnitco.net (seweber@netnitco.net)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:20:33 -0600
Tom, I have a 2591 and it is a very competent radio.  The PL tones are
generated by a module that fits between the battery and the main body of
the HT.  It slips onto the bottom of the radio and the battery slips onto
the bottom of the module.  The module contains a standard COM-SPEC tone
generator with the dip switches exposed on the back to select the tone.
These are apparantly rare items as PL was generally only needed in major
metropolitan areas when these were built.  Last time I looked, Sevierville
is not a major metropolitan area, so the folks at the mother ship did not
make PL a high priority.  I bought my PL insert from the factory and
practically had to beg them to get it!

The rig has ten memories.  Nine use the standard +/- 600 offset and the
tenth will memorize a non-standard split.  The offset IS memorized and
recalled whenever a memory is accessed either directly or while scanning.
In direct entry mode, the switch selected offset is used.

This was a very advanced radio for it's era, and several of the battery
suppliers that advertize in QST have replacement cell inserts for
reasonable prices.

It's a real brick, but a nice solid radio.  I looked at a lot of HTs before
I bought this one and have never regretted it for a moment.

As always, these are my personal opinions, and your mileage may vary.
Close cover before striking.  Don't run with scissors.  etc.

Hope this helps.

At 2:12 PM -0600 1/28/01, Tom Scott wrote:
>Does anyone know if the Ten-Tec 2591 has provisions for CTCSS tones?
>Memories?
>
>If it didn't have provisions for tones, is it possible through some add-on
>to add that capability?
>
>Any opinions about these? Anyone using one?
>
>- Tom Scott, eEngineering

73 de Steve Weber, KD9BO
--
An infinite number of rednecks