[TenTec] SWR and Rain

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SWR and Rain
From: k8do@email.msn.com (k8do)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:02:58 -0500
<sigh>  Corn, you continue to make pronouncements that are pure fantasy...
Rain water is [generally] a poor conductor of electricity, i.e. a good
insulator.... Put down your books, get off your dead butt, and do some basic
research man!  There is snow/rain/water everywhere this time of year... Get
a cupfull and use a VOM (you do have one?) to check the dc conductance...
What is it?
Then take your RF analyzer (you do have one?) with a piece of coax
terminated in a 50 ohm resistor and dunk that end into the water... What's
the change?
Then make up a dipole of any random length about 20 or 30 feet long and lay
it on the ground, and using your analyzer find the resonant frequency and
impedence... Then lay the dipole in a (fresh water, not salt) pond and
recheck it... What's the change?
I know the answers to these because I have done the research.... I invite
you to research more and pronounce less...

Denny