[TenTec] Omni 6 info

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6 info
From: rich@w3zj.com (Richard B Drake)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:48:12 -0500
Jerry,

Annotations below:

Once you have it set up you will probably use it 100% of the time,
I wouldn't be without it. It works with logging software to
automatically record frequency and mode etc. and also one click on
a DX-Packet cluster spot automatically puts you there. You never
had it so good :-)

> just when I needed it.  Do
> I need any hardware
> other  than what is built in my Omni from TT?

You need the RS-232 interface cable, you can build it yourself but
probably better just to purchase from Ten-Tec - it is available.

> What
> software is everyone
> running with their Omni 6's?  Freeware, shareware,
> expensive ware ??

Lots of programs available. I use Logger V8.01 for general logging
(this also interfaces with Zakanaka for PSK31 and RTTY). These are
freeware available at http://www.qsl.net/kc4elo/ . I use WriteLog
for contesting www.writelog.com , this is shareware $75.00 last
time I looked. There are many others that I am sure people will
suggest to you.

> Also, the keyer in the rig has a peculiar problem.
> Sometimes but not
> always it speeds up a little or slows down but this is
> not all of the time.
> Anyone familiar with this?

Yes, there is a factory fix for this - call Ten-Tec.

> One more thing.  When I have a cw qso 30 minutes or
> longer the heatsink
> really gets very hot.  You can't leave your hand on it.
> Is this the norm?

No, not on CW. It will get pretty warm after several minutes of
RTTY or PSK31 operation but mine barely gets warm on CW. Some have
added an external fan but it shouldn't be necessary for CW. Not
sure what might cause excessive heating, but when you call for
your CW speed fix, you might ask TT about it.

----
73, Rich - W3ZJ