[TenTec] N4PY Using the TenTec RX331 with a Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] N4PY Using the TenTec RX331 with a Pegasus
From: n4py@earthlink.net (Carl Moreschi)
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 19:30:04 -0000
I received my RX-331 from TenTec yesterday.  I now have
it running in full transceive with my Pegasus.  The RX-331 is
a commercial receiver available from TenTec.  It it own their
website under commercial receivers.

I have the RX-331 running as the main receiver and the pegasus
receiver running as the sub-receiver.  This is an awesome setup.
The filters on the rx331 (57 of them) have very steep skirts.  I can
take my external crystal calibrator as a reference signal giving me
an s9 + 20 db signal.  With the 100 hertz filter engaged, I only hear
the signal over a total of 120 hertz!  That's amazingly steep skirts.
On sideband, I find very distinctive differences with 2400 hertz
verses 2600 filters.  With filters this steep, everything is noticeable.

With the phone DX conest going on, I find the front end holds up perfectly
with lots of strong signals on the band.  The frequency stablity and
accuracy
are also right on the money.  I also impressed with synchronous AM.

The only problem I have encountered with the setup is getting QSK to
work well.  Right now I have it doing fine with breaks between some letters
and all words but not between elements of a letter.  This is something I can
work on.

Right now I think I have one of the best ham rigs possible with an awesome
spec receiver, and a reasonably good sub-receiver, and an excellent and
versatile transmitter.

Carl Moreschi  N4PY
Franklinton, North Carolina
n4py@earthlink.net