[TenTec] ground

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ground
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:05:37 -0500
Yes that is a bit unusual but maybe TenTec realized it serves no earthly
purpose.

I know I'll get a lot of flames for saying this but having 2 seperate ground
systems (AC Line and Gnd Rod) serving the same appliance is really asking
for trouble. This is certain to create a ground loop and when surges,
spikes, and lightning occur then you can always expect a lot of needless
current flowing between these grounds and right through your precious rig.

I use a balanced antenna feeder which comes through the wall to a large
double pole knife switch. This switch either connects the feeder directly to
the tuner or directly to a heavy ground lead, 1/4" copper pipe. This ground
is never connected to the rig. The rig is grounded through the AC line cord.
Since I have a balanced antenna system there are no problems with RF on the
rig.
When I leave the shack or when storms are present, I pull the big switch and
ground the antenna, not the rig. If I know a thunderstorm is coming, I
unplug the rig from the AC line to protect it.
Another source of ground loop is the telephone line which could be connected
to your rig through your computer. This is not advisable.
A lot of this old fashion ground theory comes from back in the days when
hams used end fed Hertz antennas and the rig was actually part of the
antenna system. In that case, you had to bond everything together and run a
ground wire out to a good ground system. Also in those days there may have
been no AC power anyway so you made your own ground.

So remember, the important thing is to ground that skywire to keep charges
from building up on it and keep that entire mess totally isolated from your
rig, especially the ground! At the very least put a switch on your ground
wire so you can disconnect it during storms.

Steve Ellington
N4LQ