[TenTec] Jupiter external speaker

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter external speaker
From: WA2PVK@prodigy.net (WILLIAM F MANSEY)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 23:47:13 -0400
Hello all,
    Please excuse me while I ask a dumb question.  What is wrong with using
an ungrounded speaker with the Jupiter?  I noted the "warning" and, perhaps
not knowing better, went and connected an ungrounded speaker. This
particular speaker is one of a pair of "Optimus" mini-bookshelf speakers.
The other one is connected to my  IC-746.  Both speakers sound very good
whether listening to SSB or even AM short-wave broadcasts.  They may not
have the ideal response that a "real" communications speaker would have BUT
I have had no problems hearing even weak stations.  The cabinets of these
speakers are made of wood - so I do not think that grounding them would do
much good anyway.  I feel that I may have missed a key posting about some
type of problem and this is why I am confused about the need for
transformers and/or other measures.  Please bear with me!  BILL