[TenTec] how 'bout the jupiter vs. kenwood's ts-2000?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] how 'bout the jupiter vs. kenwood's ts-2000?
From: ka8jxg@callsign.net (Carl J. Denbow)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:11:30 -0400
Don't have time for a detailed response at this time, but I was in a
very similar situation to yours a few months ago.  I was considering
the Kenwood 2000 v. TT Jupiter v. Kachina.  I got wind of Kachina's
demise as an amateur vendor, so I limited myself to consider the 2000
and the Jupiter.  I opted for the Jupiter and for the money I saved
was able to buy a Yaseu FT-817 that a friend had bought "as is" (aka
DOA) and fixed.  He has an engineering background, so I trusted his
repair work.  The 817 works fine.  For me buying these two rigs was a
better deal.  True the 817 is a QRP rig, but it does cover the bands
that the TT does not.  At any rate, that's my story from a situation
similar to yours.  But, perhaps, the availability of the used 817
makes my situation a little unique.  That was certainly the key point
in making me decide to go that route, but a new 817 and the TT would
still be less than a 2000, I think.

Hope this helps a little...

73

Carl