[TenTec] Field Day and "6N2"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Field Day and "6N2"
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 16:10:19 -0700
Jim & Bill and others.

Interesting and optimistic reading regarding the Tentec 6N2 rig.  While
I'm not to be considered an expert on VHF, but I have and work a lot of
VHF, I too agree that when the band opens, the 2 M SSB calling freq
sounds like a DX pile up on 20M while the rest of the band has little to
no activity.  This is an issue many have cussed and discussed for
years.  Many must think that the calling freq is to be used solely to
TRANSMIT and rarely do they seem to listen before transmitting.  I don't
seem to recall the regs being written that way.  After all that what
VFO's are for.

I recall that a few years ago a new all mode HF + 2M radio was
introduced by one of the off-shore companies.  They began to appear on
the 2M band like hotcakes comming out of a machine.  I heard folks
calling CQ and I  responded with an answer only to hear them call again
and again.  Latter I would hear local discussions about the "band must
have been dead".  Well that manufacturer finally figured out that their
radio was just about as deaf as a stump.  Transmitted quite well
however.  I don't think the Tentec 6N2 will fall into this quagmire.

Hopefully with the new 6N2 on the market there will be some additional
activity on the bands and maybe a few KHz from the calling freq.

73
Bob K4TAX