[TenTec] Field Day and "6N2"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Field Day and "6N2"
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:55:16 -0700 (PDT)

I have noticed that field day ops are some of the
worst for crowding the calling frequencies on VHF and
UHF. I can only attribute that behavior to many of the
operators being primarily HF operators where normal
contesting means "elbowing" your way into a little
crack in the band somewhere. Truthfully it really does
work against you to do that on VHF and UHF, especially
if you are running low power. Fortunately the
operating habits of most operators during normal VHF
contests are much better. This last June VHF
sweepstakes I was finding and working guys well up to
50.250. More than once I would work someone lower in
the band around 50.150 or so only to have three or
four others calling me, rather than fight an already
crowded frequency I would immediately announce that I
was going up the band to 50.250 KHz (or higher).
Almost all of them would follow me up there and I'd
easily work a whole string of QSO's in rapid-fire
sequence.

It will be interesting to see how well everybody likes
their 526's. Has anyone done any comparisons to the
Pegasus or Jupiter in terms of basic RX and RF
performance?

I was thinking about a 526 until I found it had no
computer control capability, a MAJOR omission on Ten
Tec's Part. I really do hope that they put
Pegasus/Jupiter-like (or better) computer control
features into the 516.

 Duane
 N9DG

--- "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>