[TenTec] Re: OMNI 6+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: OMNI 6+
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 22:25:03 -0700
Don & TENTEC List:

Well I started this so I best finish it.  I've had several direct
inquiries about this.

I suffered with RF getting into the audio of my Paragon I.  Admittingly
the operating position was some 15 ft from the vertical antenna. Since
the vertical was mounted on the our boat dock in a tidal salt water
canal, ground was not an issue or concern and moving the antenna was not
an option. (Florida property restrictions)  The vertical was fed with a
buried length of RG-213 from the antenna feed point and then up through
the floor in the shack.  Moving the radio was not an option either.
(Wife restrictions)

In the process of finding the problem, I changed mikes, mike cables and
a few other things without satisfactory results.  Using the Centurion
amp was out of the question too.  I called Paul Clinton at Tentec,
discussed it throughly and was provided, at no charge, some ferrite
beads and some ceramic C's.  I don't recall the actual values.  I was
instructed to place them on the 4 leads inside the radio at the MIC
connector.  Did so.  Problem solved.  I think the RF was getting into
the radio via either the + voltage for the mic or the PTT line.
Couldn't prove this one way or another.  Now I could run the Paragon and
Centurion on any band 75 M - 10 M without any problems.  Same antenna,
same feed, same location. Just lots more power.

Oh yes, the dock pile mounted vertical in a salt water tidal canal is a
killer of an antenna.  However SWR does change slightly with the tides.
(So the ground moves a bit up and down.)

Traded the Paragon for a Omni VI+ in 1997.  Recently I had the need to
open the Omni and noticed that the beads were on the wires from the mic
connector.  Don't recall about the C's.  One other recent e-mail
correspondent indicated that his Omni of 1994 vintage did not have them.

Just thought you'd like to know.  If there are questions, please direct
them to me.

73
Bob K4TAX