[TenTec] Re: OMNI 6+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: OMNI 6+
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:17:32 -0700
Jim;
cc: Tentec list

Sounds like you have all the latest mods to improve the Omni VI+.  Those
have been done to mine as well and I'm pleased with the results.

As to the RF issues.  I haven't had any problems with RF getting into
the Omni VI+ when used as a "bare bones" radio.  The mike is a 705 desk
mike.  However, when I start connecting cables to the rear panel, i.e.
audio in/out for PSK, PTT, relay, and 12V and etc then some problems do
appear.  In most cases I added a 0.1 mfd disk ceramic to the RCA
connector inside the radio to near-by chassis/ground.  The audio in/out
I added a .005mfd.  I use the radio mostly as the IF on 10 M for the VHF
transverters (2M) and UHF transverters (70 cm).  I run lots!!! of power
on these band as I do EME and MS work.  The VHF and UHF antennas are fed
with 1/2" Andrew hardline.

On HF the Centurion sits beside the Omni and also a 238 tuner.  HF
antennas are (1) coax fed 1/2 wave with RG-213, with a 1:1 balun at the
top for 75M and (2) a center fed 1/2 wave on 160M with balanced feed
brought all the way to the tuner.  I'm in a wood frame house, on the 2nd
floor, middle of the house.  The feed lines go up behind the operating
station, through the ceiling into the attic, out the eve, up the tower.
RF ground is non existant at the station operating position due to the
distance between the operating position and "mother earth".  I do use
3rd pin AC ground for safety reasons. This is true also for the amps
which all have 3 wire 230 volt service back to the main house breaker
panel.  That run is about 60 ft.  Tower grounding.....that's another
topic for discussion however.  We are 550 ft above average terrain.
Lightening everywhere here on the mountaintop!

The computer and monitor are some 3 or 4 feet from the radio position (I
can and do use both at the same time) and are on the same outlet as the
radios.  No problems with computer noise or RF into the computer.  The
TV antenna is on the side of the tower which has all the HF, VHF/UHF
antennas.  We are 85 miles from the nearest VHF TV station and there is
no TVI nor does the TV interfer with the HF or VHF/UHF operation.  TV
antennas are coax fed 75 ohm.  All coax lines are closely tied to the
legs of the Rohn 25G.  The balanced feed line for the 160M antenna is on
several home made PVC stand-off arms that keep the line 18" from the
tower.

If any one has questions, don't hesitate to send me an e-mail.  I'll try
to help.

73
Bob K4TAX