[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Stations

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Stations
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:11:51 -1000
Aloha again from the Island of Kauai,

Recall the following:

> Why not keep the rigs here,  and run CW practice simultaneously
> on three bands;  especially on the weekends when W1AW
> has discontinued CW practice!
>
> Opinions on this thought:   "CW,  as a mode for new operators
> might be more enhanced by weekend,  other hour CW practice
> beyond W1AW offerings,  than just providing these rigs to
> a couple of folks who "say"  they really are interested in CW".

Since posting this note,  the response has been at least
"whelming" (not really overwhelming,  hi).  It is clear there
exists a lot of support for especially  weekend  CW
practice on the HF bands;  where none is available now.

So,  my big decision:

All the rigs will stay here,  and I begin a brave new project:

1. Some logistics to work out for feeding antennas.
2. Software to interpret a text file for keying Morse.
3. Some kind of automation for controlling the rigs.
and certainly others of which I have not yet thought.

Note: to be "legal",  the CW practice must be clear
text files,  not code groups or just random characters,
evidently;  and the text must be "radio" related:  all
to adhere to our amateur band FCC rules.

My first task will be to deal with #2,  the computer rig
interface,  and keying three rigs at the same time, but
I will figure it out.  Has been suggested that I down
load a program called "The Mill";  however,  it is
scary for me:  it is big,  bad,  DOS!  Of which I am
totally ignorant.  I grew up late in life with computers,
and always Windows,  hi.  Maybe I can figure something
else,  but will fool around for a time,  I am sure.

Anyhow,  that is the decision,  and here I go.
Watch for some future announcement of the
first Saturday/Sunday HF CW practice transmissions!

73,  Jim  KH7M