[TenTec] CW--slightly off topic

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CW--slightly off topic
From: kitdart@cfw.com (K Indart)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:33:59 -0400
Hi Mike.
   My experience is exactly like yours.  I  challenged myself to copy
stations that were using keyboards.  After some practice (lots!) I started
to pick out words, rather than individual letters forming the word.  If you
think about it, it is no different to spoken speech.  If I say "radio", I
hear one group of sounds...rraaadiioo, so when I hear dit dah dit, dit dah,
dahditdit, dit dit, dah dah dah at a good clip, my mind tells me that
combination of sounds means "radio".  In the old days radio ops, like press
types,used a "mill", special typewriter.  So if you want to copy fast and
write it down, I suggest you learn to copy on a typewriter.  My speed drops
drastically, because i never practiced using a typewriter.  When copying on
paper got too difficult, I just started jotting down the call, name and QTH,
and all the rest was retained in my  head.  I find that CW mobile at around
28-30 wpm is more relaxing than voice and really enjoy it on long trips.
(the xyl used to get a little nervous at first, because she thought my
attention was divided !!) but as I said it is just like a conversation.
    I would say that the secret is just practice until it becomes like
another language. If you are in a group, you can probably keep on a
conversation with someone, while you are also listening to what someone
close, is saying.  Good luck es 73  Ken WA4RPH and hamming since around 1946

'