[TenTec] Power supply overcurent tripping

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Power supply overcurent tripping
From: ve1adh@accesswave.ca (Dave McClafferty)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:07:57 -0300
I am using the 961power supply that came with my Omni V to power my Pegasus.
Recently it started tripping on when I was on my 80 meter dipole. I solved
that by replacing the antenna, it was old anyway. What puzzled me was that
it was tripping the supply at only about 2.5:1 SWR. I checked the supply
trip point and it was about 20 amps. I realized though that I was using the
aux. jacks to power a 2 meter rig,TNC,antenna switch and a small fan. This
adds a couple of amps to the PS load, so the Pegasus finals were probably
only drawing about 16-18 amps when the PS tripped.
Over the years I have heard many complaints of Tentec supplies tripping when
they shouldn't. I wonder how many of these complaints were caused by extra
load on the supply?

73, Dave