[TenTec] A new QRP radio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] A new QRP radio
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 07:02:27 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Bill Meahan wrote:

> I always grin at how much the QRP crowd (of which I used to be a more
> active member) fusses about size and battery drain as if all of them
> were backpacking after being dropped off by a bush plane 1,000 miles

Good point!  :-)  :-)

AND, there's the flip side, those of us who like to go for a week or two
into the Sierras with food enough and plans to see no one else....
well, let me speak for myself, I pack over 60 lbs at the start, enough to
make Ray Jardin laugh, but I take what I like to have!  I recall going out
on the Appalachian trail in 1973 with my Ten Tec Argonaut 505, lantern
battery, tuner, mike and wire so I could work some 20 meter SSB from the
Delaware Water Gap (nice view, by the way).  I walked slowly up the hills
and didn't go 20 mile days but had fun with my radio.  I think I even
carried my mandolin on that trip, played for some young ladies I met.
That's the life!  And Al Kahn did this (met him at Dayton one year, he
lured me to buy the Argo 505 and began this maddness in my life).

Clark
WA3JPG