[TenTec] Omni V operation

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V operation
From: cyr999@extremezone.com (Tim and Nancy Logan)
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 21:37:19 -0700
Hi folks -

I've been a HAM since July, 2000, so that will explain the naivety of my
question. I operate cw about 99% of the time because I just got hooked
on it (can operate at about 18wpm - but won't settle until I can get to
30 - 35wpm and play with the big boys hi hi).

Every once in awhile tho, I will use SSB. With the wider SSB filters etc
I often find myself cranking back the RF gain and turning the fade a bit
clockwise. Doing so brings any background noise down to about zero and
does not detract much at all from the quality of the SSB audio. Is that
somewhat of a standard practice or does it suggest my noise floor is
higher than it should be? Somehow I have gotten the impression that
turning back the RF gain is "cheating" - if that makes sense. Dumb
question I'm sure - I did pass the Extra on Nov 3 (so you know I can
remember questions hi hi) - but I'm STILL just a beginner!

Thanks for being out there. I read the Ten-Tec reflector every day!

Regards, Tim Logan KB7OEX