[TenTec] Re: 238A vs 238

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: 238A vs 238
From: ndavis@vt.edu (Nat Davis)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:55:09 -0500
>"Barry N1EU" <n1eu@hotmail.com> asked
>
>Looking at the Ten-Tec Web site, it's difficult to tell exactly how the
>238A's inductor tuning knob scale works and how precise it can be set.  I'd
>appreciate it if someone with a 238A could describe how the inductor scale
>is driven and how well it works.  I'm thinking of upgrading from a 238 to a
>238A.

Barry,

I bought a new 238A tuner a month ago.  I have been extremely pleased with
it.  The inductor is linked to its knob by a gear reduction "box" inside
the tuner.  The scale is from 0 to 30.  The knob turns easily but not
"freely" -- you can not "slap" the knob and send it spinning (wouldn't want
it that way, either).  I have not had any "backlash" in my knob,
either.  Very smooth adjusting the knob/inductor.  For my ladder-line fed
dipole at 35' (don't laugh, biggest tree I have :-)  ), I can tune 160, 80,
and 40 on or about the 15-20 marks on the knob's scale.  It is easy to
eyeball the scale to the half-mark values.

One of the main things I wanted from the tuner was repeatable settings --
something I had a lot of trouble with in my old (non-Ten Tec) tuner.  I
have found that the 238A is OUTSTANDING for this feature!  When I first
tried tuning the antenna, I made a table of frequency vs. tuner
settings.  Now I use the table to go to the exact settings time after
time.  I could not ask for any better operation in this regard.

In short, replacing the old-style dial/moving dial pointer in the 238 with
the new calibrated knob is a winner with me!  Hope this helps.

73,

Nat
N4EL