[TenTec] 516/Orion/"software defined"/etc.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 516/Orion/"software defined"/etc.
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:10:44 -0500
Well, let's see...

I can remember, back during my days at the (now defunct) Westech
Electronics, simultaneously selling the following "big" items:
Argonaut 515
Argosy I & II
Century 21
Corsair I
The 2M HT
The Satellite Transverter
The Hercules linear

We missed out on the Delta and Triton series, and the older Omni's; the
newer (post Corsair) Omni's came out after I left the store (or after the
store went pffft!, I don't recall now).  I also don't remember selling the
Century 22 -- or many C21's for that matter, I think the store came into
being at the tail end of that run.

One thing I never understood, from a marketing standpoint, is why the Argosy
was limited to 50 W output.  Yes, yes, I know, it's only 3 dB on paper, you
can rarely tell the difference on air, etc.  But the bottom line, as a
retailer, is that I could put the Argosy (either I or II) side-by-side with,
say, a Kenwood TS-430s, prove it was a better receiver & a cleaner
transmitter, almost sell the customer on the rig, and he's say more often
than not "but it's only 50 Watts out."  At the time, the Argosy was
retailing for about $499 and the 430 for $650-675, and most of the Kenwood
accessories were more expensive too, but that 50 W vs 100 W output was the
breaking point more often than not.  (And there were other issues, but that
was the backbreaker)

The Argosy II actually was a tougher sell than the original; the extra, oh
$30 or so for the digital readout closed the price gap, and then it made
someone's decision to to go with a 430S (or the equivalent ICOM or Yaesu
rig) that much easier.  And ironically, the store's loan demo Argosy I sat
after the II came out, and I still kick myself for not buying it myself at
cost (*sigh*)

I also wonder if at the time, a 6 meter only CW/SSB Argosy might have sold.
I once mentioned it to someone at TenTec at the time, and (thinking I meant
to ADD 6 meters) told me it was not technically possible for a variety of
reasons.   Oh well, at least I tried... and now we have the 6N2.

There's also a question of how long it takes to switch around production
line(s), since I don't think TenTec is building everything at once.  Having
modular components is a big help there; as Paul mentioned, if, for example,
the PA block is common to several rigs, you can keep building that section
(and other common ones) while switching around the final assembly lines for
whatever rigs are being built this week.

73, ron wn3vaw