[TenTec] Jupiter AM Operation.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter AM Operation.
From: k4cgy_list@yahoo.com (James C. Owen, III)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:51:15 -0800 (PST)
Hi Bill,

   I have had my Jupiter for about two months and I think that
overall it's the best I have used. Previous was the CorsairII and
Kenwood TS830s. The real test will be field day on how it handles
strong signals on the same band ie 40M CW and 40M SSB. Corsair II
works find as long as antenna's are at 90 degrees and at least
400 feet apart.
  On the AM tune, I have had a couple of contacts on 10M with
excellent results and comments of very nice AM signal. Now mine
does the same on 10M, press the tune button and it cycles between
20 & 75 watts with a slight pause about 40 watts. It keeps going
until you cancel it. However it works properly on the other bands
so I set it up on 15M and then go to 10m. I figured maybe it had
an SWR it didn't like or a little RF was getting in on 10. It
looks excellent on the scope, unlike the Drake C-line I once had.
I had a contact in Colorado look at me with a scope on an R-390
and he said he had never seen anything that looked any better. My
mic gain is about 50% and I set the carrier for about 15 W
output, processor is set to about 40%. You're right 35% gives
about 25W carrier. If you plan on having a lot of long AM QSO's I
would put a small muffin whisper fan blowing across the heat
sink. I had a 1/2 hour QSO at about 50/50 duty cycle and the heat
sink got pretty warm, I would say about 120 degrees. This is
still well in spec but a fan will keep it at room temp.
   I haven't put the new software on yet and haven't seen a real
need to do so but maybe in the next month or so I'll up date.

73 Jim K4CGY