[TenTec] Orion Comment ( too long)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Comment ( too long)
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 19:55:45 -0600
FWIW, to set the record straight, if the Orion does in fact use an LCD
display, it is unfair to compare it with the full-color display on the Icom
PRO and PRO II. Those sets use TFT technology displays, as used in the most
expensive laptop computers and the new flat display monitors. LCD is quite
limited in what and how it can display data and is hardly the technology
one would expect - or should accept - on a new "state of the art" rig.

As to the gold trim, it should be just that - trim. Again, comparing the
PRO, only the name label in small type under the meter is in gold - nothing
else. Gold-flanged knobs, mic jack, heaphone jack, etc. is overstatement .
. . and, to go on and say it, "tacky."

And finally, let me make an "Emperor's new clothes" statement for which I
will put on the flame suit: I am most disappointed with the case design and
construction of the Orion. It appears to be made of relatively cheap
stamped sheet metal and, frankly, the knobs look like something that Radio
Shack sells.

Now, I know that cosmetics and appearance have virtually nothing to do with
performance, but they do affect the user's attitude toward and his
perception of the radio and its performance. At $3300 I expect at the least
the same tasteful and modern cast aluminum panels and case that the
competition manages to afford for the same or a lower price. When I first
saw the Orion pictures, expecially the rear panel view which also shows the
top panel, my first thought was that here was probably an excellent radio
stuck in a cheap looking 1960's cabinet with knobs to match.

I have heard that the auto industry spends almost as much in the
development of a new car model on the styling and body design, etc. as on
the engineering of the chassis, engine, et al. There must be a reason . . .

Lest anyone cast stones in this direction because I do not (yet) own a "big
TenTec" - although I do have the TT 30-meter QRP rig - I am quite
open-minded about buying an Orion, despite is initial negative visual
impact, once I can see detailed specifications and test data as opposed to
a list of features.

Time tells all . . .

73/72/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina 505 DSP  #91900556  Icom IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002