[TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION
From: dufferjames@hotmail.com (James Duffer)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:04:34 -0600
snip

>Why would you even want to try and network an array a
>disparate microprocessors in a radio? I'm not sure if
>I can fully follow the logic of using 5 or 6
>processors in a ham rig anyhow? What could they all
>possibly be doing that can't be handled by other
>simpler means? One thing to date that the import radio
>makers haven't done is expand their concept of what a
>radio really is, they are still just incrementally
>expanding on the rather narrowly defined classic
>transceiver concept that goes back more than 40 years.

snip

If they go forward, then network of microprocessors may be an alternative.
Arrays and network of microprocessors in large electronic systems such as a
radar common digitizer are common.  Even in the late seventies a radar
digitizer was built that 18 microprocessors working on a common buss this
didn't count the ones used in the display.
As you say for a functions in a transceiver what would be the need?  Who
knows what will be used as the bells and whistles keep increasing on radios.

Jim, wd4air