[TenTec] Q re lightning protection

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Q re lightning protection
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:41:47 -0500
> I've heard many times that everyone should have all their wires coming
> in at the same point:  ac service, phone, cable, ham feedlines etc.
> and all grounds should be bonded together at the entrance point.  For
> some of us this isn't possible.  What's the next best alternative?

I have a wide 3" copper flashing with the shortest path possible
between my telco and power line ground and my station ground.
That's mainly to provide a bypass around the house wiring for a
direct lightning hit on either my towers or the power/telco lines.

The real important part for the Ham gear is what you do in your
station area. I ground the power line safety ground and all my
cables and feedlines to one common point right at the room
entrance, and branch off that single point to all the equipment. I
have a couple MOV's and UL/CSA .01uF 250VAC line bypass
capacitors in a metal disconnect box on my power line at that
point, and RF chokes and bypass caps on the phone lines. The RF
chokes and bypasses on the phone lines double as fuses and
bypasses for lightning also.

I also have good lightning grounds at both the power line and
antenna entrances (they are at opposite ends of the house,
because I'm stuck with the layout that was here when I moved in).
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com