[TenTec] It's "Only" 1.7 dB

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] It's "Only" 1.7 dB
From: al_lorona@agilent.com (al_lorona@agilent.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:47:39 -0700
As a QRP aficionado, I am inclined to agree that 1.7 dB isn't a big enough
difference to worry about, but I suppose there could be reasons why it would
be important to someone.

Perhaps a person has 1.7 dB of loss in his coax and, psychologically
speaking, making it up with more power helps one feel better about his
system.

I have heard people who find themselves frequently working in weak signal
conditions at or below the noise level say that in those cases 1 or 2 dB
makes a lot of difference.

I'm actually still undecided on this issue.

Let's pose it this way: if 1.7 dB isn't enough to get upset about, would you
accept with the same nonchanlance a general *decrease* of 1.7 dB (down to 67
Watts) in the maximum output power from the new Orion?

Al  W6LX