[TenTec] RE: PBT, extra power

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: PBT, extra power
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:28:15 -0800
I'd like to see the Orion have the ability to run an extra clean SSB signal,
like the FT-1000 MP Mk V, so that if one is driving an amp via SSB, the
cleanest possible signal is being put out.  I'd rather have 75 watts of
extra clean power than an extra 50 watts of power.

Re PBT on the Omni V, think of it this way... the receiver's bandwidth is a
'window' into the air letting you see just what comes through the window.
Adjusting the frequency is like sliding the entire window back and forth.
Adjusting the bandwidth via PBT is like opening or closing one side of the
drapes or the other, and sliding it around so that only part of the view
comes through (like shutters).  You use this to eliminate strong signals
that are interfering with your view, much as you might use your drapes to
eliminate a setting sun, or the neighbor's broken-down pickup truck.
Filters are like blinds... you can close them down tightly enough so that
only the amount of light you want to come through actually makes it.

Sometimes it's hard to get a signal into the passband provided by the
filters.  In that case, using PBT can help.  I usually find that, especially
for PSK31, PBT can really come in handy.  However, following some of the
hints dropped by others on this elist, I too have written a macro for MixW
that, upon selecting a signal, lets me center that signal in the 9Mhz narrow
filter passband (500 Hz data filter) of my Omni VI/Opt1.  Works great!

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2
                  ...waiting _eagerly_ for KPA2!
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net