[TenTec] Jones Filter -- Delta II v. Scout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jones Filter -- Delta II v. Scout
From: k9iua@juno.com (Kevin Anderson)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:31:39 GMT
Over the weekend I had the chance to
operate a Delta II in the Wisconsin QSO
Party.  This was my first exposure to
a Delta II.  Overall I thought the rig
was okay, with the exception being the
Jones filtering.

Now I have a Scout, and so am familiar
with the Jones filter as presented in
this rig.  I am generally pleased with
the filter.  I usually don't crank it
in (it howls too much for my taste), but
even so, I find it good at blocking out
the other sideband image when listening
to CW even at the full-wide setting.

With the Delta II I operated, which also has
the Jones filter, but a more sophisticated
one with passband tuning, I was not at all
thrilled with.  On CW I could very often
hear the other sideband when the filter was
open, and even when I had it turned part
way in.

Any reason why these two versions of the
Jones filter would be that different?
Does the passband tuning change (open up)
the filter that much compared to the
fixed version in the Scout?  For the other
Delta II users, does your filter seem to
let through so much of the other sideband?

Just curious....  Thanks.
Cheers/73 from Iowa,
Kevin Anderson, K9IUA

Kevin Anderson, K9IUA, Dubuque IA