[TenTec] Omni V sensitive components.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V sensitive components.
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:05:49 -0600
Most rigs, in aluminum cases, are not intended to be placed next to a strong
magnetic field.  The Omni V and any rig with RF coils can be affected by
strong nearby fields passing thru cases that do not shield magnetic field.
There is no problem with the components inside the Omni V, it is a matter of
circuit board layout, use of aluminum cabinets that provide little magnetic
field attenuation, and desire of hams today to place everything on the same
operating desk level, while years ago, hams were usually taught to separate
the power supply from the rig.  When power supplies were as large as rigs,
they were often place under the desk, or otherwise out of the way, and
incidentally well spaced so that magnetic fields did not reach the RF part
of the transmitter or receiver.  In a number of Ten Tec models, this spacing
can be accomplished while having side by side power supply and rig, by
placing the supply on the Right of the Transceiver.  Although I do not have
a Ten Tec power supply to know this, I suspect Ten Tec put their large power
transformer to the Right of the power supply layout, thus it would end up
spaced away from the rig if the rig is to the left.

73, Stuart K5KVH
73,
Stuart K5KVH