[TenTec] what is "quiet"?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] what is "quiet"?
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:10:20 -0800 (PST)
Absolutely, and the closer you can get the analog to
digital conversion to the antenna input the less
chance there is to introduce all that mixer noise. The
key design challenges at that point are to manage the
noise in the A/D converter itself and to have good
dynamic range, neither are trivial I'm sure.

Ultimately the goal is to reach the holy grail of no
mixers at all by directly digitizing all RX signals.
It will be somewhat ironic to see radio technology
come all the way around to its origins by abandoning
the super heterodyne approach. Mr. Armstrong's basic
RX design idea has indeed had along run as the
dominant RX design, but I do get a growing sense it
will begin to fall out of favor.

As I've already pointed out in some of my previous
posts, I am partial to a direct conversion into DSP
design approach. There have been many reasons already
given to support the DC/DSP methodology instead of
using numerous IF stages with their cumulative noise
contributions. And we won?t even talk about the
convoluted schemes done to achieve passband tuning by
analog means. Also don?t forget all those pesky
ringing, ripple, and group delay kinds of problems
with aggressive analog filtering techniques. While
DC/DSP isn't the truly ideal direct digitization of
the RX signal, it is the next closest thing there is
with the technology that we could reasonably expect to
be able to afford for our ham shacks.

Duane
N9DG