[TenTec] OMNI VI Transmit IMD

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI Transmit IMD
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:00:29 -0500
I have a background of 2 disciplines.  One is professional electronic
products, design, support and making customers satisfied after the Sales
Department promised them bla bla bla about the product.  The 2nd is of
course my hobby of ham radio.

I see and have been held to SPECIFICATIONS   as a guaranteed performance
contract.  Every model must meet these numbers under specific conditions.
Temperature, voltage, humidity, altitude, impedance, external RF/noise
influences and etc etc.

Then there's the "typical performance" set of numbers.  These are not
guaranteed but simply state the most units meet these numbers most of the
time.

With regard to IMD performance, again from knowledge and experience, to
achieve optimum, one must have very carefully matched beta devices. Thus the
reason why some companies sell components in match pairs.  While ideal, and
typically a bit costly, and I'd expect from a Tentec viewpoint the factor of
production output (yield) vs. scale of economics and a few other factors,
general devices will make the FCC guidelines all of the time.  (Tentec may
wish to comment on this to the reflector or direct to me.)

Ideally, some standard production lot could be submitted for test, the
results obtained and then some percentage of the high and low numbers
discarded then publish the mean mathematical number as a specification.  It
works, time consuming and expensive.  The question  to be answered, is it
worth it for a hobby?

73
Bob K4TAX