[TenTec] Re: [dx-list] One Day to Extra Class

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [dx-list] One Day to Extra Class
From: dshrader@earthlink.net (Dave Shrader)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:40:37 -0400
I've run into many new extra class operators who ask: "How do I
calculate the length of a dipole?" or; "My tuner gets rid of the SWR in
my antenna!". [Q&A Extras]

I also teach classes. 8 2 hour sessions over two months with homework
for a Technician License. I do NOT teach Q&A. I believe the Q&A style
teaching is a fraud!!

Maybe we should petition ARRL to request a minimum time in class before
an upgrade is possible. Example 1 year as Tech before a person can
upgrade to General: and, 2 years as General before a person can upgrade
to Extra. This would create the prospects of 'some' experience in radio
art for the senior class.

I hold an Engineering degree, BSEE + many MSEE credits, and took my
Extra when I retired.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE for almost 50 years of ham radio.