[TenTec] PTO Rebuilt

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PTO Rebuilt
From: kc8wr@bright.net (Mike)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:44:22 -0400
Well, I knew I would get a lot of good information about the PTO rebuild on
this reflector.  But, I cheated....WD40 as a cleaner sounded pretty good, so
I first cleaned all the parts with it...then I cleaned everything again in
Dawn dishwashing detergent.  I use Dawn for a lot of clean up work. But I am
not sure I would have used it for the parts in the PTO.  Just wouldn't have
thought of it.....

I used the Lube Gel from Radio Shack to lubricate all the parts, the local
bike shop closes before I get back in town from work......  The tube of Lube
Gel is quite large (3 oz.) considering how much is needed for the parts in
the PTO.  I now have enough to rebuild at least 300 PTO's.  But, I am sure I
will use it for other things too.  And besides, it was cheap!

Everything pretty much went according to the information offered here on the
reflector.  Although one message was from Jay - KM6VX, one our illustrious
net controllers.  He said "clean it with gasoline and use pork fat to
lubricate it" only Jay.....!

Anyway, I should have the Corsair back on the air in about a week.  Still
waiting for the 2N3866's to arrive.  (Always buy a spare).  And there are
couple of other things I want to do once the transistors arrive....alignment
for one.

On second thought it might be a couple of weeks, forgot the Dayton
Hamvention is next week and I am going to the FDIM QRP Seminar on Thursday
then the Hamvention on Fri, Sat and maybe Sun....so, I'm not going to rush
things.

Thanks for all of the good advice on the PTO rebuild.....you guys really are
great when it come to useful information and Jay is always good for a little
laughter!

Mike - KC8WR