[TenTec] Keyer paddle opinion needed (NO TEN-TEC)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Keyer paddle opinion needed (NO TEN-TEC)
From: ac5aa@juno.com (Duane A Calvin)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 22:28:12 -0500
At the risk of being branded a heretic, let me say I think you'll find
the Bencher to be fine.  To keep it in one spot, I picked up a trick from
Marshall at MorseX.com (careful on that spelling!) - use a small piece of
the drawer liner mesh sold inexpensively at WalMart, Target, KMart, etc.
It  will keep your paddle in one spot and does not involve gooey stuff.
Now for the heresy - a year or so ago I purchased one of the Schurr
Proffi-2 paddles.  It is a beautiful piece of work - it should be for
$270!  But here's the rub.  If I don't use the paddle for a week or
longer, the next time I try to use it, either one or both of the contacts
won't "make" until I slap it around a bit.  The paddle came with a piece
of burnishing paper to use, but I set the contacts so close that no paper
will fit between.  They are still weeping oil onto the contacts, which
may or may not be part of the problem.  My Bencher with gold plated
contacts NEVER had this problem!  I used to have the same problem all the
time with an old Vibrokeyer single lever paddle I used years ago and it
drove me nuts.  Now I'm thinking it doesn't happen with gold plated
contacts, but it does with silver contacts.  I've never heard anyone else
with a Schurr complain about this, and Marshall says he hasn't either.
So, I guess I'll just live with this anomaly - I like the feel of the
Schurr much better than the Bencher . . .

For whatever it's worth!  Remember, you paid nothing for this opinion,
and it's probably worth every penny of that!

        73,  Duane