[TenTec] TT wants to go nose to nose with the K2????

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT wants to go nose to nose with the K2????
From: n4xy@earthlink.net (Ed Tanton)
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 22:40:42 -0400
I love my K2... but NOTHING beats the OMNI VI that I HAD to sell about
the time the 'VI+ was coming out. I phrase it that way because: when
operating CW at any speed I'm capable of (up to say... 35-40 wpm copying
in my head [I can't write complete copy much past 25-and I don't type
fast enough to matter with these 2 fingers]) my OMNI VI simply sounded
like another signal on the band... allowing perfect copy between dashes
as things got FASTER and between dits for 95%or more of my QSOs.

I'll get another, one of these days... when I can afford it. I'm making
do with a Geihl-equipped Paragon I ran into for such QSOs (e.g. 100W
SSB) as I might make not using QRP or my usual Viking Ranger II at 50W.
The ergonomics of the Paragon are similar to the OMNI VI, and Paragons
are a bargain on the market at $750 or less for a truly mint unit.

As for TT vs Elecraft... I don't want to touch that... the K2
performance in all conditions is VERY good... and the kit starts at $700
(~I think.) It's a joy to put together, and has its own set of unique
features to tempt prospective buyers-the fact that it's a kit ranking
high among them. The FACT of its receiver performance ranking among the
best there is being another. Yes, they are in the same market, but each
company's products do not overlap sufficiently to be a strict
nose-to-nose competition, allowing for all their various buyers'
demand-curve factors. And BOTH companies' break-in CW operations are
terrific.

Ultimately, if I had to choose ANY rig, and could only have the ONE
unit, I'd try and get an OMNI VI + with ALL the filters, and combine it
with my JPS NIR-12 for audio DSP. There are others with things I'd love
to have (the Yaesu Dual-Freq receive; the Icom Spectrum Displays) but my
OMNI VI was the best I've ever tried, and that's where I'd put my hat
(er... key) if such a decision was required. I'm not even claiming it's
the best there is, etc. etc. ...just that it's what I'd personally pick
as the unit I've liked the most. Fortunately, there are many options
available that negate such a one-rig-only requirement... even on my
budget.

P.S. I confess I haven't tried any Ten-Tecs  past my OMNI VI... my point
is just that full-break-in CW operation with my OMNI VI was so good, I
have no idea how it could have been better.

73  Ed Tanton  N4XY  <n4xy@earthlink.net>

Ed Tanton  N4XY
189 Pioneer Trail
Marietta, GA  30068-3466