[TenTec] TT wants to go nose to nose with the K2????

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT wants to go nose to nose with the K2????
From: kc8wr@bright.net (Mike)
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 19:56:59 -0400
Okay, let's see, I have built a full blown K2.  At the present time there is
absolutely nothing I can buy to add to it and at todays prices it would cost
$1227.00 to build.  Ouch, I am glad I didn't total that up first!  I am
basically CHEAP!

To build or buy a K2 that is remotely close to the new TenTec Argonaut V I
would have $767.00 in the basic K2 including the SSB, 160 meter and
microphone kits.  The mic really isn't a kit, it is a Heil mic optimized for
the K2.  At this point I still would not have a General coverage receiver,
AM or FM modes.  I would have 4 adjustable CW filters and 4 SSB filters.
The K2 is only upgradable thru purchasing a Firmware Update on an IC at
$39.00.  So, at this point the only comparison that is remotely appropriate
is PRICE.  We are within a few bucks, but FEATURE-WISE the Argonaut V is the
clear winner.

Now, some people like to build, others do not.  I like bulding things and I
bought the K2 just before Thanksgiving in 2000.  I consider Kit Building a
WINTER SPORT!  I had seen and operated a K2 prior to buying.  I was very
impressed with the receiver and the transmitter will deliver 10-17 watts on
all bands, with 10 meters giving an honest 12-14 watts normally and each of
the lower bands with output in the range of 14-17 watts.

The K2 works very well driving the TenTec 2 and 6 meter transverters.  And
with the addition of the Aux/IO board even gives you the correct frequency
display on the K2.  But that is another option at $89.00.  Several hams are
using  the tranverters with the K2 doing very weak signal work because of
the very good, quiet K2 receiver.

I see that the current drain on the Argonaut V is 950 mA on receive, this is
not good compared to the K2 at 150-250 mA in receive.  But, that will not
stop me or anyone else  from buying the Argonaut V.....

I see the two radios as being to distinctly DIFFERENT radios in respect to
portable radios.  Whereas the K2 has the ability to have an internal 2.9mAh
battery ($79.00 extra) for portable use, and it is designed for low current
drain with respect to the internal battery.  The K2 is not to be operated
above 5 watts with the internal battery if you expect any extended life from
the battery.  The Argonaut does not have that limitation, but can still be
used with a deep cycle battery and say a solar panel and still operate at
full RF output in the field.  Portable as the K2....NO, but portable YES.

I could go on with the comparison IF the Argonaut V were available to be put
side by side with the K2.  But, since it isn't we'll all have to wait.

I don't see that the QRP market has been cornered by Elecraft.  Maybe with
those that like to BUILD multi-band hf radios, but as someone else already
has stated, he doesn't like to build and there are many that feel that same
way.

I do believe that biggest advantage that the K2 will have is in BASIC
receiver specifications.  But feature-wise the Argonaut V will still be the
winner.  And dollar for dollar the Argonaut will hold its own against the
K2.  I have heard many say they would love to have a K2 but just aren't
capable or comfortable with building such a high dollar kit.  They will buy
the Argonaut V.  I will buy the Argonaut V because it will fill another WANT
that the K2 does not.

To those that nit-pick everything to death will love the comparison of K2
versus Argonaut V.  But to those that buy a radio to use and enjoy and DONT
HAVE TO BUILD IT will buy it.  Because they are interested in QRP with a
little EXTRA punch available.

This is getting longer than I like to think about writting ( must be the
gasoline and port fat fumes ) something and I haven't even touched on the
digital modes, the K2 still needs some form on interface.  The K2 frequency
stability has been a subject of quite a lot of discussion on the K2
reflector.  No TCXO available for the K2.  Heat has been discussed quite a
lot on the K2 reflector, no external cooling fan option available (that
mounts on the radio).  And the K2 does NOT come with even a basic
microphone.  Oh and lets not forget the 35 DSP filters, that isn't anything
to sneeze at!

So in closing I must come to the conclusion that the only thing that puts
the K2 and the Argonaut V on the same page is the fact that both are
considered QRP multi-band HF radios.  With some very distinct differences.
The same discussion came up when Yaesu introduced the FT-817.  And that
comparison is still going, on and on and on...............

I have the K2 and am very happy with the experience of building and learning
and using it.  I wouldn't any sooner part with it than I would my Omni VI
OptIII.  At the same time I will buy the Argonaut V and if ( it BETTER ) it
meets all of the announced features and specifications I will be tickled to
death with it also.  There is a place for more than one HIGH END QRP
transceiver in the QRP market.  I hope Elecraft continues to design, build
and market QRP kits and equipment.  I also hope that TenTec continues to
succeed in the Amateur Radio market whether it be QRO or QRP.....lets face
it Elecraft had to be aware on TenTecs legendary service after the
sale.....they sure didn't invent it, but they are trying hard to duplicate
it.

Nose to Nose....I don't think so, but I do believe that each will complement
the other.  QRP is the fastest growing segment of Amateur Radio......

Just my unusually long opinion,
Mike - KC8WR

PS. As far as I am concerned the warranties between Elecraft and TenTec
don't compare, TenTec's is much better....Wayne and Eric sure are tryin'
real hard.  It is nice to have TWO manufacturers that put service after the
sale on such a high priority.   I can't believe I typed all of that!