[TenTec] any real live reports yet?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] any real live reports yet?
From: N4NT@chartertn.net (Mike Hyder -N4NT-)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 12:37:06 -0400
Does your Heil microphone have the 'Roger-Beep' feature?  I feel like I'm
tuned in to channel 19.

Microphones come in all sorts of types with all sorts of outputs -- some
balanced, some not; some high impedance, some low impedance; some in the
middle; some with higher output than others.

To expect any manufacturer to accomodate all of these without sacrificing
audio quality somewhere is not realistic.  I suggest that if your microphone
does not work properly with your rig you do one of five things: 1) Get a
different microphone, 2) ensure that you provide proper impedance matching
between the microphone and the rig, 3) use a microphone preamplifier if '2)'
is not sufficient, 4) modify the rig or replace it to suit yourself, or 5)
use CW.

I read on here what amounts to almost constant griping at Ten-Tec because a
Heil microphone does not work properly with the rig.  Does anyone ever
complain at Heil that Heil doesn't provide different microphone elements
with different characteristics to suit different rigs or at least different
types of application, i.e. higher or lower impedance, and higher output
voltage?  Perhaps you could start a reflector on Heil microphones and gripe
about them to your heart's content.

Mike N4NT