[TenTec] eham centurion 0 review

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] eham centurion 0 review
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:42:30 -0500
Right on, Clark!

The last thing I want to hear/read when deciding on a major radio
purchaseis a lot of prose by guys who are either madly in love with the
thing they bought (because it cost so much and they are not about to admit
any disappointment) or can't stand the sight of it (because it cost so much
and they are ashamed of themselves for ever buying it and now they are
stuck with it).

Seldom does either position provide much light on the subject - just a
venting, one way or the other. Which is fine - helps the reviewer, etc. I
suppose. But does little to convey the performance data I look for.

I guess I am like Clark - I like to make up my mind based upon the
confirmed specs of the gear, the reputation of the manufacturer, the
availability of quality service, the dealer involved, etc.

So, not putting anybody down, but to my mind there are no unbiased
"reviews" published in eHam and precious few elsewhere. I do believe that
the ARRL Lab Tests are about the best going and that they can be relied
upon for a fair and knowledgeable accounting of what a piece of gear can
do, not how many knobs its has or the color of the display.

73/72/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina 505 DSP  #91900556  Icom IC-765 #02437