[TenTec] What's with the 526 (6N2)?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] What's with the 526 (6N2)?
From: wd5fun@earthlink.net (Ron McKean)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 06:45:30 -0400
Larry,

I purchased one of the first 6N2s and kept it about 7 months.  I guess my
best description is, its OK.  I believe the what it could have been is a lot
more important than what it is.  I was disappointed with the cheap tuning
knob and replaced it with one from an IC-706.  The multi control feels mushy
and does not seem to move through the functions in a liner fashion.  Since
it is not computer controllable, I believe as an in shack rig it is kind of
clunky to operate with the lack of keypad and so few knobs.  Performance is
not bad nor is it exceptional.  If I were to compare it to the FT-100, I
don't think I would pay $700 for the 6N2 when you can buy the FT-100 (with
HF, 432 and yes 100 watts out on six and two).  I did however receive good
audio reports.

Ron
WD5FUN