[TenTec] Delta II SSB problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Delta II SSB problem
From: tuomas.talka@atie.ains.fi (Tuomas Talka)
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 10:02:32 +0300
Hi!

I'm a new member on this list so may I first introduce myself. I'm a 28
year old traffic planner in a consulting company in Finland and I've been
ham radio operator since 1994 and a SWL since 1984. In 1999 I bought my
first Ten-Tec radio - Delta II - and I've been very satisfied with it.

Some time ago I noticed a problem in my Delta. The problem is that
sometimes it's hard to get more than 20 Watts of PEP power on SSB though
few seconds before I have been transmitting with e.g. 90 Watts of PEP power
without any problems. Other hams have said that my transmitting audio has
changed from a clear and good modulation into a bit dark but there's not
any distortion. Suddenly the PEP power may jump back to "normal" level and
there's not any problem to get enough modulation.When I tune my Delta on
CW, everything is fine and I can transmit on full power. Even on FM mode
there are not any problems to get the full output power and many people
have told me that my modulation is very good.  I have noticed that the
problem with SSB transmission has something to do with SSB reception too.
Sometimes when there's this transmission problem I can hear the difference
on the receiving audio quality. I mean that there's something like I had
turned the pass band tuning although I haven't touched the PBT knob.

If someone could help to solve this problem, please put email to me. There
are not too many Ten-Tec experts in Finland. I think there are just few TT
users here in my country.

Thanks in advance! I wish you all US members a happy national holiday.

73 de Tuomas, OH5JJL