[TenTec] Selling stuff-pet peeve

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Selling stuff-pet peeve
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 18:04:27 -0400
Well group,

I'm probably just getting grumpy in my old age and /or have too much
time on my hands. Anyway, here is my pet peeve:

When someone is selling something on this reflector, many times it is
offered to the first one that replies. This is the problem; i.e., it
becomes an e-mail race. Whose ISP is faster or goes through fewer links?
Who is available to continually hover over the computer all day? (Heaven
forbid if you have some kind of appointment or (gasp) actually had to be
at work).

I'm sure there are many ways to handle these types of sales, but one
obvious suggestion comes to mind. Just post your "for sale" message, and
give a cutoff date/time (2 days, 1 day, whatever). At that time, the
seller just writes down the name or call of everyone interested and
draws it out of a hat. Not eBay, not an auction, it just goes for the
originally advertised price. Maybe not the greatest way but certainly
more fair than the e-mail horse race.

Flame thrower OFF

73/Carter/K8VT