[TenTec] My beloved Paragon

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] My beloved Paragon
From: wz7i@arrl.net (Wes Cosand)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:32:45 -0400
Folks:

My Paragon (serial #470) is putting out significantly reduced power. The
output into a dummy load varies between bands, putting out about 65 watts
at 1.8Mhz, 35 at 7Mhz, and 10 watts at 28 Mhz. Anyone have a good idea
about the cause of this problem?

This radio has been back to the factory so many times for so many issues
I have lost count. The repair shop has been wonderful to work with but as
you can imagine, I am becoming frustrated. This is the only radio I have
ever used and currently I am only operating CW. I love the 500 Hz filter
and the pass band tuning on this box.

If every module in the RF systems of the NMR instruments at work had the
same mean time to failure as this box, it would be hard to get a
reasonable return on investment. Of course, the scientific
instrumentation costs more, but it seems that the reliability of the
components should be comparable.

Would I be disappointed with the filtering in the Jupiter? Is there a
good way to zero beat the Jupiter? The poor zero beat arrangement of the
Paragon is its most significant failing, in my view.

Your discouraged comrade,

Wes, WZ7I

Wes Cosand, PhD

6299 Durham Rd; Rt 413