[TenTec] Just a quick thought...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Just a quick thought...
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 09:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
--- Mark Hinkel <mrhinkel@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I've also seen quite a few of you waiting rather
> impatiently for the
> next new computer controlled radio from Ten Tec.
> Will the new ??? need
> need a software up-grade right out of the box??

I surely hope so, if they don't I will be sorely
disappointed, and it would then be just like all their
imported competition. In a word boring, because once
you've bought it, you own it with NO prospect of ever
adding features of fixing any problems there might be.
Or any fixes that there maybe will come at shipping
cost minimum and 1 or more weeks out of the shack
radio down time. The 30 minutes playing around with
pretty trivial to me.

> Enough is enough!!  If the @#$!! thing doesn't work,
> pack it up and send
> it back.  And let the engineers at the factory
> figure out what's wrong
> with it.

I guess for my time and aggravation I'd lot rather
spend the less than 5 minutes loading new firmware. If
it doesn't work I'll spend another 5 minutes rolling
it back, and I'm experimenting (remember one of those
?basis and purpose? of amateur radio?). All of this
can take place in less time than it takes to tape up
the box to send it somewhere.

The main goof I see that Ten Tec did was release new
code late on Friday .... Oops. Those of us who work
with software upgrades never do them on a Friday
unless required too, because we like our weekends to
play with our radios rather than being on a support
phone call. To the folks at Ten Tec?s credit they
posted another version on a Saturday, the non-software
radio would have spent the entire weekend in a truck
or on a bench somewhere.

Duane
N9DG