[TenTec] Re: Jupiter firmware problems...NOT! (SO!... )

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Jupiter firmware problems...NOT! (SO!... )
From: ke4teg@bellsouth.net (KE4TEG)
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:10:28 -0400
Who started this willing to pay a yearly fee for firmware updates? Are all
you let's pay more people out of your minds?! That is like asking the Boss
to take 50 dollars a week out of your paycheck for himself or asking can I
please pay more in taxes. You bought a great product and paid good money.
Ten-Tec is a great company and has legendary customer and product support.
Also, remember that Ten-Tec reads this board, why in the world would any
Ham offer such a proposition?

Next, thinking if such a program did exist, Ten-Tec would be pressured into
making yearly updates on every radio in the program (looks like 4 possible
radios at this time, 2 not yet out). That does not make good business
sense. Also Ten-Tec is nice enough to offer free firmware updates which
they do not have to do. That is again part of the legendary Ten-Tec
customer support. It also means that Ten-Tec can take a radio out of
production when it is best for them as well as stop supporting a radio when
it is again best for them. And, who is going to keep track of who paid and
who didn't? Surely not Ten-Tec and what about used radios? "Hey I got a
great deal on a used Orion, but it has the original firmware and I have to
pay $2000 in back annual updates to get the latest version!" Every Ham is
not going to want to pay which increases the price of such a program,
decreases the incentive for Ten-Tec to have such a program, and finally you
have the group of Hams that think they already paid to much for the rig but
want to just get every fifth update because they now have to pay for it.
Let us not even suggest that customers are even slightly willing to pay
annual fees on radios we have already bought and paid for. Besides you do
not think that Ten-Tec starts from scratch each time they do an update? The
hard part has been done, the first production firmware build. Firmware
updates are timely improvements or bug fixes. They should be left at that
and at Ten-Tec's discretion. Again we bought and paid for a product that
comes with a warranty and a return policy if we do not like it. Ten-Tec
never stated that the unit would be kept current as part of that payment,
it is just that fabulous Ten-Tec product and customer support. Besides,
other then top shelf rigs (like the Orion), Amateur Radio is quickly headed
toward the current consumer electronics future. Buy it, use it, throw it
out, go buy the latest and greatest. Would anyone of us have his/her VCR
repaired?  No, we would go buy a new one for $45 (most likely better and
with more features then the one we had) or get a DVD player.

What makes Ten-Tec radios so great, besides the obvious part that they make
terrific ham gear, is the fact that they are working hard to keep that buy
it and/or throw it away to update/repair future away from all us Hams. It
makes us all feel better and makes it easier when we pay out that hard
earned money for a Ten-Tec product. For Ten-Tec, the "Free" firmware
updates are a good selling point and also make it easier for a Ham to buy
one of their new rigs knowing that when 60 Meters (or most likely any other
new band) is available all the rig needs is a firmware update. Would you
buy a Brand New Orion now, knowing that 60M is coming, if you knew it would
not work on 60, probably not.

73 Keith
de KE4TEG