[TenTec] Open Wire

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Open Wire
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:02:14 -0500
All true, all true.
Yes, the balanced feeders must have current measured, and I advocate use of
two RF ammeters, so as to upset the line the same on both sides.

Yet, L. B. Cebik reports his experiments show balance can be within 10 per
cent and no ill effects are seen in the shack, which is a relief, as I
pointed out the effect of one half of the antenna over a house, and the
other half over the yard as potential unbalancing effects, even on equal
length wires, in private email.  Capacity to earth of the wires affects
balance every bit as do the other more obvious factors.

I too tend to look upon use of an Earth ground as only something to add as a
static bleed off in case of lightning events, and not to be used if it
causes some unbalance as it easily can.  Local exact conditions of various
shacks differ widely; the second story shack probably can never use a direct
earth connection, (some manage), while the interior of the house shack, or
basement shack face differing challenges.
73, Stuart K5KVH