[TenTec] RE: Switching Power Supplies (was Samlex 1223)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Switching Power Supplies (was Samlex 1223)
From: al_lorona@agilent.com (al_lorona@agilent.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:18:24 -0600
Unfortunately, all switching power supplies generate RFI. That's why the League
publishes those measurements. The only thing you can do is try and minimize the
noise coming out of the switching power supply.

To do that, you have to pay attention to the noise that's actually on the DC
lines coming out of the supply, and the noise radiated from the supply through
the case. Both mechanisms will contribute. Any measures you take to do this
will probably involve a combination of filtering and shielding.

There is one manufacturer that says the following in its ads: "Specifically
designed for ALL applications, including HF." You read this, and you think,
"Hey, they must not generate any noise because they're saying it's good for HF,
too!" But, see paragraph #1 above.

Several years ago I was suckered by this ad and went through a devil of a time
quieting down the power supply so that I could use it portable in a hotel room
with a random wire. And yes, the problem is made worse with an unbalanced
antenna system like a random wire. I worked on the supply and reduced the noise
considerably, but I cannot eliminate it entirely.

I think many hams may not realize that some of the noise they are hearing on
their receivers is coming from their switching power supplies. There is both
narrowband and broadband noise. Some of it is easy to hear because it repeats
every 15 or 40 or 60 kHz or whatever the switching frequency is.

You should have a very good reason to go with a switcher and then be prepared
to deal with the consequences. If you're not willing to, save yourself some
grief and look into a good old-fashioned linear power supply. It weighs more,
and it takes up more space on the operating desk, but boy, it sure is quiet.

Al  W6LX