[TenTec] Argo V Comments

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argo V Comments
From: ve1dy@yahoo.com (Paul (ve1dy))
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:09:17 -0800 (PST)
Hi All...

<snip>

> 4) There is no TUNE button. On the Omni series this tune button
> automatically put the radio in CW mode and generated a carrier. It
> was very
> handy for adjusting antenna tuners and power output. The only way I
> have
> found around this is to switch the Argo V to CW mode and press the
> mic PTT
> button (I have the CW input set up for paddles and pressing one of
> them
> generates dits or dahs). It works, but is awkward. I'm sure this
> could be
> implemented in a DSP update to the Argo V, which is why I mention it.

You can also set the keyer to off, then the dit paddle will transmit a
carrier.

> 6) There is no auto notch function. I recently had an opportunity to
> try the
> auto notch on my Omni VI (opt 3), when someone took forever to tune
> up on
> top of a net I was monitoring. At first, I had to double check and
> make sure
> that the carrier was still there. The auto notch had completely
> eliminated
> it. Again, I'm pretty sure that this could be implemented with a DSP
> update.

I would very much like to see some noise reduction.  Something that
would ease the frying pan a little!  I don't have this type of noise
all the time, but when I do...

> 8) Moving around frequencies is somewhat awkward (granted, I haven't
> set up
> memories yet). Even the fast tuning speed is too slow for major
> excursions -
> for example from one end of 10m to the other. It's even more awkward
> to move
> around frequencies outside the amateur bands, such as SW broadcasts.

Setting up some memories, makes moving around quite easy.  I set one
for 160, several for 80 etc.

Also, the bandstacking gives you two frequencies for every band.  This
will give you a frequency for say, the low end of 10m (cw) and the high
end (where ever you want) of 10 for phone.  It also keeps the bandwidth
and mode settings for you.

73, Paul (ve1dy)
Halifax, NS