[TenTec] Argonaut V Fan

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V Fan
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:37:33 -0500
Has anyone installed the optional fan for the new Argonaut V?  The
instructions have you opening the radio and running the power lead through a
grommet (in which you have to cut a hole) to a mating jack inside. However,
there is 12v available to a phono jack on the back of the radio. This jack
is only powered when the radio is on. To me, it seems a simpler place to get
the power for the fan - you would just have to modify the plug on the fan
power lead. This would make it easier to remove the fan when not needed.

Can anyone see any reason not to use this 12v jack instead? If you needed
power for another accessory, you could always build a Y cable.

Currently, I hooked up an external fan (an only computer fan) and have that
blowing on to the back of the radio - I found that after a 5 minute PSK31
transmission the heat sink was pretty warm.

73,
Mark