[TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec516] Re: Losing Memories

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec516] Re: Losing Memories
From: ve1dy@yahoo.com (Paul (ve1dy))
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 10:36:54 -0800 (PST)
Hi again Reed,

The loss of memories happened within the first two weeks I think.

I decided to keep the rig because it is easy to use, and it really
sounds nice!

I have a borrowed 100D here at the moment, and in order to make most of
the adjustments, you have to get into the menus, and I find that a
royal pain.  Incidently, to adjust the side tone volume in the 100D,
you have to take the cover off, and use a screwdriver to adjust a pot!
Also, as soon as you send the first dit, on comes the fan!

I have a fan for my 516 but it's in the box... not required for low
power cw.

I've been comparing my 516 with my 570D, a (friends) K2, and a
(friends) 100D.

I much prefer the sound of the 516 over all the other rigs, but the
100D has pulled out a weaker (on 10m mobile with a crappy antenna) than
the 516.  The K2 and the 570 hear the same as the 516, but none of the
other 3 rigs sound as nice as the 516.

One thing I would like to see added to the firmware, is a little noise
reduction (switchable), and one thing I'd like to see changed is the
rit (off when you hit the button, and back to the last setting when you
turn it back on).

Another main reason for my sticking with the 516, is the fact that I
can pick up the phone and talk with the boys, who build and sell these
rigs!

73, Paul VE1DY
Halifax, NS